Smoothies are a quick and nutritious, complete meal in a glass! If you are pressed for time, why not try a nutritious breakfast in a blender. In fact, you can even replace another meal such as lunch, with an easy-to-make, super smoothie. When made right, smoothies can be high-quality liquid nutrition that gives you everything you need in a convenient, portable, delicious package.
Note: Not all smoothies are nutritionally balanced! Many juice bars and cafés serving smoothies are often too high in carbohydrate i.e., excess fructose from fruit or fruit sorbets. Smoothies should contain no more than 1 serve of fruit. Follow the guide below.
STEP 1: Pick a liquid
- Almond milk (unsweetened)
- Cow’s milk
- Soy milk (unsweetened)
- Coconut milk
- Iced green tea
- Coffee (for a morning shake)
- Coconut water
You can also add crushed ice if you want a frosty shake, or leave it out. The less liquid you use, the thicker the shake will be. 120ml – 240ml is a good starting point for each serve.
STEP 2: Pick a protein
- Whey protein isolate
- Egg white protein (fresh egg whites or powder)
- Rice protein powder
- Pea protein isolate
- Hemp protein powder
- ½ cup quark* + ½ cup Greek or Natural yoghurt
* Quark (or curd) is a soft, fresh cheese from Europe. It’s also a great source of protein!
STEP 3: Pick 1 serve of fruit
- Apple or pear
- Berries |Cherries (pitted)
- Dates (remove the pit)
- Pineapple | Mango | Papaya
You can use fresh or frozen fruit
STEP 4: Pick a vegetable
- Dark leafy greens: spinach | kale
- Powdered greens supplement e.g. Vital Greens
Spinach is a great choice, as it’s virtually flavourless in your shake. Beets go well with chocolate. Add 1 to 2 handfuls of COLOUR
STEP 5: Pick a healthy fat
- Walnuts / cashews / almonds
- 100% natural peanut butter, almond butter or other nut butter
- Flaxseeds (linseed), hemp, and chia seeds
- Coconut oil
- 1/4 avocado
When blended well, nuts & seeds give the smoothie a nice rich consistency. 1 thumb size of fat is usually enough. Avocado, in particular, will give your shake a creamy consistency.
STEP 6: BLEND!
STEP: 7 Pick a garnish
e.g., cacao powder, coconut flakes, cinnamon, vanilla, oats for extra carbs